Monday, October 13, 2008

Israel: Nation of Laws Unequally Applied


One current and one past Prime Minister spoke on the state of laws in the Jewish State. Haaretz reported Shimon Peres said:

"Though there are several religions in Israel, there is only one law and one police."

Peres was in Acre on Monday, after clashes between the city's Arab and Jewish populations raged for several days. During a Muslim-Jewish conference, he called for an end to violence.

Meanwhile in the Jerusalem Post, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said there was no doubt that there has been discrimination against the Arab population in Israel.

"I have decided that I must change this situation. The October 2000 events (when 13 Arab citizens were killed) became a significant milestone in the relations between Arabs and Jews in the state of Israel. You came here today to ask me to look into the attorney-general's decisions. I will not do that - I do not have the authority to do it, but I do have the right to share your pain and sorrow, a right that I will not give up."

For those not getting equal treatment under the law? A Bill Clinton like "I feel your pain." How Democratic is that?